jim threewheelin' at winton

Started by branko.gt, March 02, 2006, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branko.gt

see jim on three wheels

Trent

Jim's car looks a little different now ay ?

branko.gt

Quote from: Trent on March 22, 2006, 11:49:04 PM
Jim's car looks a little different now ay ?
that picture was taken in March 2005, there is another picture of Jim's car taken last weekend : http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,39/topic,45.0

Evan Bottcher

If anyone's got a "before" shot I'd love to see.  Really enjoyed Jim's article in the Cross+Serpent last year on the development of his car.  Jim did a 1.06.157 on Sunday - I think he said he went around in the 1.05s on Saturday afternoon though. 
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

branko.gt

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on March 23, 2006, 11:09:41 AM
If anyone's got a "before" shot I'd love to see.  Really enjoyed Jim's article in the Cross+Serpent last year on the development of his car.  Jim did a 1.06.157 on Sunday - I think he said he went around in the 1.05s on Saturday afternoon though. 

Jim did 1:05:00 on Saturday and was unhappy that he didn't do at least 1:04:99!  I'd be happy with 1:05 any day !

jimnielsen

Well, I did manage a 1.4.xx on the saturday.. although I had to move the point at which the logger records its lap "marker" by a meter or so (but its still a full lap!!!) - so I'm going to count it. - data is shown in the picture. Also I found out why the car would not go anywhere near as fast on the Sunday.. the 3mm aluminium washers that I was using on the bolts that attach the uprights to the outer top wishbones rod-ends were crushed under the extra grip of the Michelin slicks, causing the bolts to come loose so that there were MANY degrees of movement of the suspension at that point on BOTH wheels.  This was also shown in the data as high speed fluctuations in lateral G force.  Picture attached is of the ruined washers. They were just normal flat washers. Yes I have replaced them with steel ones... >:(

Note.. if the pictures don't display its because I can't work out how to do it!!!

Cheers, jim..

'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Alfpa Repairs

Jim,

Seems a bit strange looking at those sector times, you were doing 1.06 and 1.07 and then in the middle lap a 1.04.99. 

How come you werent able to at least do 1.05 every other lap?

Those Michellin tires you are using provide a very good amount of grip for a sustained period of time, and I have also noticed when dirving on them its not much of an issue to get heat into them especially around Winton, therefore I would suggest that provided you drive the same lines, brake at the same time, and accelerate at the same you should have no problem in laying down at least low 1.05 consistently for a sprint or practice session.

Also, does your data logger do an eclectic and complete lap time which is generated from the sector lap times, if it does a complete lap time you can check how far your best lap time was from your best possible lap time in the session.

I will post a screen shot of the Motec data from me in Formula Ford around the Winton long circuit last year to show you what I mean.
Monza Motors, (03) 9720 4442
Alfpa Repairs, (03) 9729 9946
4 Malvern Street Bayswater, VIC, 3153

Alfpa Repairs

Here are the screenshots.  I noticed I wrote before about the complete lap, in this new version of the Motec Interpreter its "Rolling Minimum", which is your best possibile realistic lap based on the sector times.  The eclectic lap time is all the best sector times added together which doesnt necessarily work out realisticly because of various factors, and thats why they include the rolling minimum which accounts for the various factors. 

I have also added a picture of the track report, note the speeds in km/h are about 8-10km/h slower than in real life because of wheel sizes.
Monza Motors, (03) 9720 4442
Alfpa Repairs, (03) 9729 9946
4 Malvern Street Bayswater, VIC, 3153

Scott Farquharson

Com'on Jimbo whats the story??

The mystery "4".  Sounds like the X Files.  The truth is out there.

I know I did a low 4 in a 1.8 ton Ferrari road car.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Branko Turk on March 02, 2006, 07:17:05 PM
see jim on three wheels

Hey does this mean Jim would go 25% faster if he used all 4 wheels??
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)