Did Lightburn assemble AR's in South Australia

Started by stradale, July 14, 2010, 05:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stradale

Hi all

I cant find the reference but i'm sure I read in an Australian car magazine in the 80's, that CKD' Alfas were assembled at a Lightburn factory in South Australia in the early 60's can anoyone expand on the subject or explod it as myth
Lightburn made washing machines and a small fibreglass car similar to the gogo modile called a Zeta
If they did assemble cars here do any still survive and how can they be identified

bonkfrog

Sportiva
Like you I seem to recall Lightburn importing Alfa before Alec Mildren, who was certainly importing in 1968 or thereabouts. Again, it's a bit vague - something I read back in the 1960s.

Cheers
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

stradale

Yes Lightburn were the national distributors before mildren

GTV-074

From what I have read and remember I don't think Alfa assmebled any cars here (certainly not the 105 series onwards).

I might be wrong - but I have never heard of Alfa assembling anything in Australia.

The numbers just don't stack up. The volumes would not have warranted - economically the setup of a line to assemble such low numbers.

But I stand to be corrected !

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Davidm1600

Again no hard information but as I understand it, Lightburn were supposed to have received CKD 105s from South Africa, via Milano, that is early Giulia Sedans and GT Sprints for assembly and sale.  However, I am not sure if this occurred or not.  I suspect the latter. 

There is a 2 part series (books) about Alfas in Australia that was written and published some years ago.  I have the first part not the second, and I am pretty sure this aspect of Alfa history was discussed.  If no one else has any better info I can check and post later on this.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Anthony Sharp

Yes Lightburn did assemble cars in South Oz in the early 60's mainly 105 coupes, they sold a little to well so Alfa looked at setting up its own dealer network witch bought the operation to an end. These cars are very rare.

stradale

Thanks Anthony

Do you have any more information

?? how many cars
?? what time frame

GTV-074

Gee....I love to find out more information on 105 coupes assembled in Oz....

I just re-read my Sports Car World Nov 64' test of the Giulia Sprint GT coupe and not a mention in 1964 of local assembly.

All Bill Tuckey mentioned was about "Alec Mildren Pty Ltd" and the preparation of the car.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

tuf105

I have that book that Davidm1750 mentioned. The book is "Spotlight on Alfa Romeo Downunder Part One - The Early Years" It does have a few paragraphs on Lightburn Industries and Alfa Romeo.

The way I read it though, the plan was to commence a CKD assembly program but "Lightburn's local CKD assembly plans were not to be fulfilled".

Barry Edmunds

The book referred to is Alfa Romeo Down Under, Parts 1 and 2, written by David Wright.
Lightburn & Co was  South Australian company that manufactured a diverse range of products from wheelbarrows to washing machines and a car called the Zeta. The original Lightburn/Alfa Romeo deal planned for 50 rhd imports before the end of 1963. By the ends of that year 10 lhd cars had been delivered for evaulation, 1300 Giulietta Ti, 1300 Romeo van, 1600 Giulia Spider,, 1600 Giulia Sprint (101 series), 3 1600 Giulia Ti,, 2600 Spider, 2600 Sprint, 2600 Berlina. A further consignment of 4 cars was received in 1964 as factory rhd cars.
Market evaluation reduced the range to 4 models. 1600 Giulia Ti, 1600 GT Sprint, 2600 Berlina and 2600 Sprint. Prices were set high, $2750 for the 1600GT and $4250 for the 2600 Sprint. As a comparison a Porsche 1600 was available at $2565. Prices were reduced to a competitive level.
Frustrating delays continued to cause problems and Lightburn's local CKD plans were never fullfilled. During the 63 & 64 Lightburn era a total of 65 cars were imported and by Aug 65 Lightburn's association with Alfa was formalyl ended.
Alec Mildren (Sydney) was granted an AR dealership appointment early in 64 and the rest is, as the classics say, history and we will forever be thankful for Alex Midlren.

massiveluvbuddy67

The one 1600 Giulia Spider imported new by Lightburn for evaluation was recently advertised by Gavin Sanford-Morgan on this forum. It has been converted to RHD and had only four caretakersw (3 SA and 1 NSW) who all looked after the car. Gavin restored the car over the last few years. I have purchased the car from Gavin and it will be active in Victorian club events soon. ;D

Brad M

Very Jealous, that is a fantastic looking car in the photo's ... can't wait to see it.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

massiveluvbuddy67

Brad, my friend, you get to drive it whenever you like! Share the joy I say!
Onwards and upwards!