Twin fans

Started by marktim, May 02, 2016, 09:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktim

Hi, I'm interested to know if anyone who has the gtv around the same year as mine 1982 that has air-conditioning if when the radiator temp switch cuts in that both fans turn on, in previous cars the one fan came on with the temp switch and the second fan came on when you put the air-conditioning on,thanks for any replies, cheers.

Alfapride

Originally one fan was for air con and the other for cooling. A common upgrade is to wire them so they work at the same time for cooling. Not sure if this can be done if you still want to use air con in my case I removed air con and now run twin fans for cooling makes a big difference.

If you plan on not using air con and using the twin fan method ensure that both fans are sucking air to the motor and not away from it.

Good luck
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

poohbah

I'd love to help Mark, unfortunately the aircon in my 81 GTV doesn't come on at all as the compressor is knackered!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

rowan_bris

My GTV6 is wired so that one fan comes on with AC and both when the fan switch cuts in regardless of whether the AC is on.

marktim

Thanks for the replies, i think I'll leave it as is as everything works well and the engine temperature stays steady with the air-conditioning running or not, cheers.