clutch questions

Started by marktim, February 07, 2016, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktim

Hope someone can shed some light on this, when idling in neutral the car idles brilliantly  when I push the clutch in without selecting a gear the revs drop,is this normal,I don't have any problems selecting gears and the clutch is not slipping,could a clutch cylinder bleed help ?Any help appreciated cheers.

marktim

Thanks for the reply, the gear change is pretty good even from third back to  second there's no crunching but the drop in revs is noticeable when pushing in the clutch,I'll check out the reservoir tomorrow, I've only had this beauty a couple of months and slowly getting to know her s far  she's been a delight, but I'm just finding a few things to get sorted,cheers.

Darryl

Doesn't seem likely to be hydraulics related. Maybe throwout bearing. How much of a rev drop? Any noises?

marktim

Thanks for the replies, the engine drops about  1-2 hundred revs and there's a sound that's hard to describe  but it likes two surfaces spinning against each other, sounds silly when talking about a clutch but that's all I can think of for the sound.Thanks for the help, cheers.

DHDamo

Sounds like throwout bearing. Don't know much about it, but I took mine to the doc and cleared it right up.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

Mick A

Quote from: marktim on February 11, 2016, 10:11:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, the engine drops about  1-2 hundred revs and there's a sound that's hard to describe  but it likes two surfaces spinning against each other, sounds silly when talking about a clutch but that's all I can think of for the sound.Thanks for the help, cheers.

I will guarantee that you have a worn out thrust bearing.

Mick

marktim

If it is a thrust  bearing roughly what cost  would a replacement be and is it a job for a reasonable backyard mechanic or is it a visit to the alfa doctor 😷. Thanks for the help, cheers.

Darryl

Only you can answer that question... If you are trying to figure it out/weigh up options, ask a reputable local service provider for a hand re right parts etc... It's a reasonably annoying job but not hugely hard once you have done it a few times to get the clutch out/in on an Alfa transaxle. While you are there its not a bad idea to inspect everything else (clutch itself, transaxle mounts, slave cylinder, hose, fork/pivot, donuts...) and avoid doing the job 3 times... I'm hinting that unless you value the learning experience (some of us just have to know how it works, my commiserations if you share the affliction) or are very time rich, cash poor, you may be best paying for the expertise to avoid more work later, or more learning than you really need if you just want your car on the road so you can enjoy driving it!

Mick A

Quote from: Darryl on February 19, 2016, 02:02:57 AM
Only you can answer that question... If you are trying to figure it out/weigh up options, ask a reputable local service provider for a hand re right parts etc... It's a reasonably annoying job but not hugely hard once you have done it a few times to get the clutch out/in on an Alfa transaxle. While you are there its not a bad idea to inspect everything else (clutch itself, transaxle mounts, slave cylinder, hose, fork/pivot, donuts...) and avoid doing the job 3 times... I'm hinting that unless you value the learning experience (some of us just have to know how it works, my commiserations if you share the affliction) or are very time rich, cash poor, you may be best paying for the expertise to avoid more work later, or more learning than you really need if you just want your car on the road so you can enjoy driving it!

Well said.

Mick A

Quote from: sportiva on February 20, 2016, 07:16:37 PM
One day's work and probably less than $100 dollars out of pocket you get the thrust race done and later you do a clutch replacement in half the time when the clutch disk finally does wears out

In my opinion, very bad advice. Why do a job twice?

Mick A

ACE

+1 sportiva!

Marktim, I can only offer encouragement.

Having brought a 90 back to life last year after it had been off the road for 14 years, I am now spending time (& LOTS of it!) doing the same for an Alfetta Gt - which has been off the road for about as long.
The Gt LOOKS tatty, IS sound and NEEDS a lot of work - all of which I do myself, without any sort of mechanical qualification.

But by crickey, I'm gunna enjoy driving it one day too - hopefully it's not too long away ...

Good luck with your endeavours.

Cheers
ACE

marktim

Thanks for the advice,I'm with you on doing as much as you can by yourself, I can pretty much do most of what's needed to be done on this girl but doing the clutch while on stands might push my ageing body a bit too much,from what I read in the Haynes manual it seems fairly straightforward.
I've got to admit though the thought of replacing the clutch and driving the car afterwards  is a big temptation just for the self satisfaction.
They are great cars and there's nothing that looks like a GTV,cheers.

Al Campbell

[/quote]

Al's Law: "Jobs not done properly until its re-worked". :)

Al Campbell

[/quote]

Al's Law: "Jobs not done properly until its re-worked". :)
[/quote]