Blackline Limited Edition Spider

Started by jim501, July 30, 2015, 07:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim501

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Spider (Phase 2 or 3), and have come across a "2003 Blackline Limited Edition" spider and can not find any other reference to this Edition anywhere. Does anyone know anything about this edition?

alanm

Hi,
The 'Cup' is the only special addition that I am aware of - not sold in Australia.
Redstyle and Bluestyle were interior colour options - black was standard.
Cheers, Al.
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Cool Jesus

No such creature exists in the 916 model range Jim. Sounds like some poetic licence has been taken in aftermarket badging of the vehicle. I have seen a blackline version in another model line up, even then I don't believe it was a factory version, but a version created by an aftermarket business/garage of sorts.

As far as I'm aware the Oz market had two special edition spiders in 2000 & 2001, these were the 'Millenium' and the 'Duetto' which sticks out like dogs balls as its yellow.

Heres a link to an avid enthusiast who ahs researched this model extensively

http://www.bozhdynsky.com/

2003 is also the time when, as you point out, the phase 2 and 3 stopped and started. Its an easy tell, the phase 2 alfa grill is just a small one on the bonnet, the phase 3 alfa grills were larger and went from the bonnet through the front bumper like the GTs, 147s, 159s.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

jim501

Thanks for the information, I had started to wonder if it was a dealer edition. I must admit the price doesn't reflect it being too special so will see what the seller knows of the designation. There are badge blackline on the rear of the car. The car in qurstion is a phase 2, would love a phase 3, but there doesn't appear to be many early ones that fit the budget.

BBRT

G'day,

I think they were UK only.

Checkout the 916 section of the Alfaowner site in the UK.

jim501

The only references I can find there is to the Blackline wheels, and it looks like there may have been a Blackline edition in the later GT's. Will explore further with the owner.

jim501

So I'm heading over to have a look at it tomorrow morning, thought I'd share the ad in case anyone has any thoughts. Talking to the owner he believes the edition added the leather interior (it's a manual roof), extra body kits, possible an uprated engine (??) and bigger wheels. I've previously dealt with the seller on a non-car purchase and seems like he knows his stuff and hasn't spared any expense on the car. Black is not my ideal colour but if it's as well sorted as it seems it will be hard to argue.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carindale/cars-vans-utes/2003-alfa-romeo-spider-beautiful-condition-only-119-000-kms/1071277713

Cool Jesus

Jim, THERE IS NO SUCH MODEL/EDITION OR OTHERWISE Tipo 916 in Australia or anywhere I'd go so far as saying. If you have the chassis number, punch it into ePer and it will give you the details and trim style of the spider. All spiders came with leather seats, yes their was an upgrade to MOMO leather also which give you MOMO embossed seats, red stitched gear knob, hand brake, each gaiter and steering wheel. The Spider you are looking at has been modified by the current owner (or previous) with add on bits. If he is sooo adamant about the edition, it will be noted on the dealership papers, Oh wait, he won't have those I bet...

Don't get sucked in, its just a tricked up spider and for me it looks terrible, but thats a subjective opinion mate. Jim, it has a steering wheel cover on it! Anyhow, timing belts have been done, that's a big plus. Verify when, they need doing every 3 yrs and is the pricier service item on alfas. 12 mnths rego too if your in Qld. If it lives up to all the puffery its not too ridiculous in price if it has auto roof.

O hell, jump junipers robin, I just noticed you can actually send up teh bat signal with the rear tail lights !!!

Jim, its just a standard 916 with a possible upgrade to MOMO interior. Certainly sounds like its been loved. Just makes sure there's paperwork to back up the claims
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Cool Jesus on August 16, 2015, 06:45:51 PM
All spiders came with leather seats

Not all.  Most did get leather, but a few owners must have preferred cloth. 

Evan Bottcher

Just looked at the photos.  :o  I'd be very very surprised if that was an official dealer special.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

poohbah

No disrespect Jim, but the prior owner must have had a Hot Wheels fixation with that errm ... striking ... graphic on the bonnet.

I suggest you use it to your bargaining advantage and tell him that he needs to knock at least $1000 off the price to cover the cost of having tacky aftermarket decals removed!

Certainly doesn't look the sort of thing that an "elderly classic car owner" would go for as a rule.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

jim501

Thanks guy. Yeah not sure what the thinking is with the limited edition, as I mentioned the owner isn't using that to inflate the price, even he admitted that he had tried to Google it and had no luck. He's only had the car a year and is the third owner, it was originally delivered down the Gold Coast. It does have a bunch of papers (better then some others that I've looked at) so will have a look through those.

I'm getting an inspection done on Wednesday, so will confirm all the mechanicals. As I'm sure everyone is aware, the spider market is a bit of a landmine. Prices all over the place (I can see the people asking $15k to be holding on to their cars for a while), so if the mechanics on this check out, I can work out getting rid of the decals (I've found out that the bird decal is in regards to the Tiesto tie in, but god only knows what a DJ has to do with an Alfa spider).

BBRT

This website has a pretty detailed list of special edition 916 Alfas.

http://www.bozhdynsky.com/alfa-romeo-gtv-spider-history/

plus loads of other information.

jim501

Quote from: BBRT on August 17, 2015, 12:25:58 PM
This website has a pretty detailed list of special edition 916 Alfas.

http://www.bozhdynsky.com/alfa-romeo-gtv-spider-history/

plus loads of other information.
Funny enough, that website believes that the 2 Australian special editions were nothing other then a plaque on a certain colour....

In regards to the leather interior, I believe that was only on the Lusso model, with the electric roof. The car I'm looking at is a manual roof so has an upgraded Momo interior.

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks is a far price as the $7k mark seems to be the bottom end of the market,  with a lot around the $9/10k mark and a few more at the $13/14k mark.

poohbah

Good luck Jim. Irrespective of the questionable graphics, it does on paper sound like it's been looked after, so if it all checks out, it should be a great, good fun, pick-up. In the long run, I also reckon good examples of the 916 will prove to be a decent investment.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)