Queensland's best drives?

Started by Cupcake, April 27, 2015, 11:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cupcake

I'm looking forward to what AROCA drives we could have for next year, and I'm aware that I'm only one person - I haven't been everywhere, and haven't tried every road in QLD worth going for a run on. Plus, what appeals to me might not appeal to others.

So what roads do others like to drive on? I think the run up to Mt Glorious is one of my favourites, as is the Numinbah Valley road. But I'm sure there are plenty that I haven't seen as yet, so let me know!

In terms of selecting a run for inclusion on the AROCA calendar, there are a few requirements apart from being a good drive:
DISTANCE
For a 'Quick Run', we're looking for no more than about an hour's drive from the start.
For 'Day Runs', we're looking for a break every hour or so, and no more than 250km in total.
BREAKS
As there will always be participants who need a break, the run needs a place to stop every hour or so, where participants can make use of facilities.
POINTS OF INTEREST
Every run needs to be interesting, otherwise people won't participate. So there needs to be some points of interest along the way. The point of interest might simply be the restaurant where we have lunch, or there might be a motoring-themed cafe where we can take a break. Or it might be a historical place, an Art Gallery, or just good scenery. Anything that people might find interesting,

Let me know your ideas, and we'll see if we can work to putting it on the calendar.

Darryl

Not a whole route, but a great little chunk of road... Tomewin Mtn Road along the border. Easy to incorporate into any number of south end of Gold Coast/Northern Rivers loops/runs.

bazzbazz

Drive up to the Maleny Markets in the sunshine coast hinterland?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Darryl

Can I recommend:

A drive that includes a spin (well - at least getting a bit sideways - easier if its wet...) in the karts at the Big Kart Track at Landsborough (they are pretty tame karts and it's a very wide track - but that combo isn't all bad - everyone 12 years or older can have some fun, no aggro).

Then up to Maleny (good idea Baz) for lunch after checking out the view from Maleny Winery. After lunch there is a great run through to Kenilworth then down to Cooroy via some winding roads that you will really enjoy in an Alfa. After grabbing a bite at the highly recommended French Patisserie in Cooroy continue on for an overnight stop (if you chose - or an easy drive home to Brisbane down the highway) at Boreen Point on Lake Cootharaba. Have dinner at the historic Apollonian Hotel - which does a great range of food - don't miss the duck spring rolls.

If staying overnight book yourself a room at the Lake Cootharaba Motel  (a short walk from the pub...), or just pitch your tent at the campground beside the lake.

The next day it is few minutes drive down to Gyndier Drive, Tewantin to spectate at on of Queenslands truly great drives: The Noosa Historic Hillclimb.

This AROCA QLD WEEKEND EVENT is on 25th and 26th July. Join in for as much or as little of it as your weekend schedule permits. See AROCA QLD Web site for more information or contact me.

Don't forget to RSVP if you are coming, and to book the motel if staying (please book by phone DIRECTLY with the motel - online booking sites will show it as full due to AROCA block booking).

Darryl.

wantok

Six Alfas entered for the Noosa Hill climb on the weekend so would be great to see some weekend drive Alfisti there on the Sunday

Always a good day out at Noosa

Cheers,
Alex

Darryl

Quote from: wantok on July 18, 2015, 05:30:56 PM
Six Alfas entered for the Noosa Hill climb on the weekend so would be great to see some weekend drive Alfisti there on the Sunday

Always a good day out at Noosa

Cheers,
Alex

It looks like a good contest for you and Graeme in the under 2L sports cars with Carl Saddington, Marcus Ferguson and Trevor Bassett also running Alfas. All might have a bit of a challenge from the Lotus Elise and Caterham though (ignoring the MGBs and MGF...)?

Not sure if George Brook had the rule book thrown at him to end up in Improved production in the Beninca Turbo GTV or maybe just avoiding running in the same class as Rielly. George ends up lined up with Mark Cowley who has gone over to the dark side (or maybe just the Black Forest) in his Bavarian Motor Works 323 (at least it is red). while Rielly should be able to follow the black marks left by the Mongrel (a very fast Ford Cobra, driven by the very very fast Mark Crespan) up the hill...

There is STILL ROOM AT THE INN (Lake Cootharaba Motel) for anyone wanting to come and spectate at The Hill on Sunday after the social day run via Maleny and Kenilworth on Saturday. To book phone the model on 0410 558 959 or (07) 54853127 and say you are with AROCA.   See AROCA QLD website for more details of the run and if you are coming please advise social@arocaqld.com.