So You Wanna Make Some Gains?

Started by AlfaMeThis, March 26, 2015, 11:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaMeThis

So I want to make some gains...

This is the first time Ive owned a european car so the internals from what Ive managed to gather seem fairly complex. At least as a newbie, that is the feeling. Finding performance pieces for a Holden seem to be easy enough but for my Manual 2.0ltr 156 TS, seems like finding simple things such as exhausts, camshafts etc etc... well to be frank isnt quite as easy?? :-\ :-\ :-\

So in saying that... if someone like myself is wanting to make some power gains say around the 40 - 50 kw mark (not too crazy ofcourse), what are something to be looking at or at least consider, and where/how would I find these items?

I think every engine should atleast get a chance in its life to work to the best of its abilities at some point... WHY NOT EY ;D

Regards

Neil Choi

Cool Jesus

BWAH ha Fellas, I don't think he'll find that helpful just yet. Given time he may be persuaded.
Ok, the twin spark, what year model do we have here? And my next question will be what's its service history like? Alfas are thoroughbreds and if they're not taken care off, they will let yôu know. There certainly nothing wrong with the twin spark. I have two and they've got some kick for a 2L. In saying this, it comes down to what coin you want to outlay and are you intending to hold onto the investment? Another question is are you a DIYer, or will you out source? There's plenty of indi Alfa mechanics that can do your bidding. Or if you like getting dirty, the forum is a good source of insight (and smartassery).
To start with, be certain that the mechanicals are in good shape, if in doubt give it a full service and once over to give you a starting base. You'll be amazed at the performance of the stock unit in good shape.
For the most part, Alfisti find there parts from overseas. More often than not it's the cheaper option if you can wait for delivery, otherwise there a few local Alfa suppliers that are decent with their prices. Dom at Italian automotive spares is one that comes to mind and always willing to offer advice too.
Oh one final question, is it a manual or selespeed?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Craig_m67

40-50kW extra .... So 'nearly' double the power output.  Your going to need more than cams and an exhaust. How much do you want to spend?

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

poohbah

It should be possible -subject to unlimited budget! I recall the Super 2000s that were configured for WTCC racing in Europe in early noughties wrung well over 250bhp out of a 2.0L.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

jazig.k

Quote from: AlfaMeThis on March 26, 2015, 11:52:36 PM
wanting to make some power gains say around the 40 - 50 kw mark

Boost. You didn't mention anything about budget, so you can afford boost now :P

But even then, it'd be cheaper to just buy a GTA. Maybe less rewarding with the "Bought not built" sticker.

I'd just style the car for maximum interweb-fame points. Ignore the butt-hurt purists. Try not to cry. Cry a lot...  ;)

Andrew Bose

Hi AlfaMeThis,

congratulations on your new purchase, if you really need the extra horsepower have a look on carsales at the two 156 V6 manuals for sale this will be the cheapest way to increase horsepower. Ask anyone they are a great motor and should keep the lust for more at bay, at least until you go to a race track.
Good Luck
Andrew

Paul Gulliver

QuoteFinding performance pieces for a Holden seem to be easy enough but for my Manual 2.0ltr 156 TS, seems like finding simple things such as exhausts, camshafts etc etc... well to be frank isnt quite as easy?? :-\ :-\ :-\

So in saying that... if someone like myself is wanting to make some power gains say around the 40 - 50 kw mark (not too crazy ofcourse), what are something to be looking at or at least consider, and where/how would I find these items?

With the application of  your cheque book & time anything is possible but you might end up with a $100,000 EH Holden ,
er sorry a 156 Selespeed.

Forget the grief,  the development of a 4 cylinder Alfa that you are after can be found in a 1750 TBI Brera /159  or a QV Giulietta . The good news is it will cost  considerably less that the fore mentioned improvements on a 156 
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

poohbah

As the owner of a 2.5L V6, I have to agree with Andrew and the others suggesting you just get 6. They are brilliant.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Beatle

Have a look at this one, and take particular note of the boot badging..................... ;) 
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Alfa-Romeo-156-2002/AGC-AD-17220212/?Cr=7
It's also in your neck of the woods.

If it weren't so far away it may have been sitting beside my GT by now.

I reckon it's probably rarer than a GTA
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Neil Choi

You will only have as much power and go as fast as your wallet allows you.  Well, go as fast as 60 kph or 100 kph or boring 110 kph on the Hume.

What is the reason for wanting the extra power - bragging right, to show etc, to beat that V8 conformadore at the red light drags, whatever tickles your fancy.  As standard, they are a lot of fun already (cf Toyota Colorra) and they do pretty well on the track with just standard road tyres, suspension and brakes.

Why don't you drive it first.

Love to see what you actually come up with.  I suggest DTM.

Cool Jesus

Fark, what a response from a simple request from a 3 poster newbie! Settle down guys, aren't we all after some performance enhancement as a general rule? AMT's anticipated power gains my be unrealistic, unless he's (or she's) looking at track work. But evenso, there's always some power to be found, though I believe Alfas are designed on the power/sports side of the cr market as it is.
Anyhow, AMT at least has found the Alfamen workshop down in Mexico. I'd be chewing their ear for some performance insight. As far as purchasing and sourcing, the EU is the place to search. Pricing is reasonable and parts in better supply for the larger Alfa market there.
Places like eb spares, alfaholics, Alfa stumper just to name a few. Even trawl the alfaowner forum and see what's been done by UK owners for performance gains.
I see that AMT hasn't been back online yet, but at least he has a manual Alfa, one less headache of the sillyspeed. Hopefully you won't be put off here, I'm all for tinkering. But you need to jump on and be more specific about what your looking at doing. Is I suggest earlier, your first port of call should be to ensure the engine is running as it was intended. After that, perceived or otherwise, even the smallest of gains should become more noticable.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

I was starting to ramble above so thought I'd break the post up.
Anyhow, you'll find that most performance enhancements are already incorporate in your Alfa. Twin spark, variable cam timing, variable tuned inlet manifold, electric fans, tuned exhaust manifold, oil cooler and sensors/computing up the wazoo. Enhancements can be had in some components such as exhaust, air inlet filter (debatable), ecu chipping/programming (cost benefit), suspension and styling which leads more to taste and a subjective opinion.
Both twin works I have were purchased from two lazy, unworthy Alfa car owners. The change in their respective response and performance from some cool jesus love was amazing. After that, any enhancements that I did, IMO, were purely cosmetic like a noisier exhaust and painting parts etc.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Geez you can tell I haven't been on the forum for a while. Have been working on my masters degree and jumped on line to see what's been happening. Having a bout of verbal diaorrehea (can spell).  ??? 
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS