What looks like a supermodel and runs like an Olympian?

Started by Evidence, February 24, 2015, 10:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evidence

What looks like a supermodel and runs like an Olympian? A car like no other.

[Full Review and video here]

The Good -
The 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C is one of the most gorgeous cars we've ever tested. The carbon-fiber monocoque and race-ready suspension are designed purely for driving enjoyment. Its turbocharged engine sounds amazing and is well mated to the lightweight chassis.

The Bad -
Rear visibility is next to nil. No manual transmission option is available. The car audio system is a joke.

The Bottom Line -
The head-turning Alfa Romeo 4C wraps accessible and thrilling sport compact performance in the gorgeous style and exotic materials of a supercar, but it's no daily driver.

I met the Alfa Romeo 4C with mixed feelings. For certain, I was excited to drive the exclusive little Alfa; just look at how gorgeous it is. But I wasn't sure what frame of reference was most appropriate for evaluating it. There isn't much like it on the road. It's priced to compete with the likes of the Porsche Cayman, but it looks like it should be going wheel-to-wheel with a McLaren 650S. But to which class does the 4C belong?

To find out, I (awkwardly) climbed into the driver's seat and disappeared over a long weekend with the gorgeous and rare Alfa. What I learned is that the 4C is the missing link between the two classes with the head-turning looks, single-minded design, and all of the impracticalities of a supercar, but with a driving character and performance that's as accessible and rewarding as my favorite sports models.

Uncompromisingly compromised
The 4C is uncompromisingly designed for the business of a thrilling drive and equally thrilling look. This single-mindedness means that there is a mountain of compromises where daily driving is concerned. However, to my enthusiast's eye, these compromises are easily remedied.

Space is at a premium in the compact 4C. The two-seater configuration only leaves room to share your driving enjoyment with one passenger, and the small trunk behind the engine compartment -- there's no front trunk, like you'd think -- has space for only one carry-on size bag; so you won't be taking much wherever you head. You've nowhere to safely stow a phone while driving as there isn't a proper glove compartment -- only a thin leather pouch beneath the dashboard - and the cup holders are too small to even fit a drink. Beverages, gloves, phones, and luggage would only weigh the 4C down; leave them at home.

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/2015-alfa-romeo-4c <Full Review Here

obersturm

Hi all,

ok, I am not sure about that. Nice looking car, sure but the only thing I know that actually looks like a super model and runs in the Olympics is Paraguayan model and athlete Leryn Franco. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leryn_Franco

Why is it that there seems to be different headlights in most of the pictures?
Is that to do with 500 units of the lunch edition?

Thanks and best regards

Obersturm

aggie57

which headlights are you referring to?  the ones in your main picture are obscured....

seriously, the ones on the Australian launch editions (and I guess elsewhere) were the original design that received much criticism from the press and others at launch, so were hastily replaced with the ones seen on the US launch edition cars.  Of course, some folks like the original design better :).
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

poohbah

dunno about Miss Paraguay being the only one. I reckon Aussie hurdler Michelle Jenneke might give her and the 4C shake ...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)