Help with 105 restoration

Started by Afraser, February 01, 2015, 08:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afraser

I am a new AROCA member but long time Alfa fan. My 16 year old son is part way through a 74 105 GTV restoration, and whilst he is very keen and eager to keep moving forward, he is short on experience on restorations. Just wondering if there is anyone that has any experience in 105's that may have some occasional spare time to give him a hand? We are located in the hills district of Sydney.

giulia_veloce

Hi Afraser

Lots of experienced people on here who can give you some advice.
Maybe you could show us some pictures of where you are up to on the car and we can go from there.
You could tell us the areas of the car that need attention,so many here can help you.

There are many thoughts on restoration.
Take everything off,,including sound deadener and back to metal respray.= expensive.
Or just a quick tidy up and drive car.
Some call a restoration= a coat of paint and re upholster the front seats.

Give us some more information so we can get your son motivated.

Robert

Afraser

Hi Robert,

My name's Ben, thanks for replying to my dad's query. I've taken a few photos of the car as attached.

As you can see, the restoration is well underway, all body work is complete, as is the suspension and drive train, and I am currently working with a local mechanic to rebuild the engine.

The areas that I'm having some trouble with are the mechanics in the doors (including the door handles/locks and the windows), the seals for the doors, and the sunroof.

Cheers,
Ben Fraser

Afraser

Sunroof

Afraser

Inside of door

Afraser

Door

giulia_veloce

Hi again..

Not your fault,,but the picture size is too large for me to see whats required with the door.

Will send you an offline message.

Car looks great at this stage.

IanL

Hi Ben,
Do a search on youtube for "vintage customs alfa" - Darren runs a shop in the US and has posted some videos on various topics. the most recent one also happens to go into door aligning on a 105 coupe.

Also search the alfabb to see if there is anything useful there (alfabb.com)

Good luck

Cheers,
Ian