Hi from South Africa

Started by El_4_Romeo, October 31, 2014, 04:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_4_Romeo

Hello, gentlemen. I'm from quite-similar-in-a-number-of-ways South Africa. I've found this forum very useful as a non-subscriber and I was hoping that I could contribute as a subscriber. I've previously owned a 116 Giulietta 2.0 Executive and now have a 1973 Giulia 2000 GTV and a 2001 916 GTV 3.0 24V. Would it be OK for a non-Australian to chat here?

Garibaldi

Welcome to our forum. I think it would be great for you to contribute. After all us Alfisti are just one big family.  :)

Cool Jesus

Hey ya. Would love to see some pics of sou efrican elfas please?
Kidding aside welcome aboard and more than welcome to joining the brains trust  el 4, ha just realised when I was looking for your name or tag. It's in your tag elfa  :D
Seriously again, would love to see some SA Alfas and their differences to ours if any?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Back in the olden days they used to assemble Alfa Romeo's there in South Africa, not sure now though?.
A club member used to turn up to sprint meetings year ago and run his Alfa Romeo in standard class, with modifications that he claimed were legal as it was sold like that in South Africa, either he was telling porkies or they have some wild cars in Africa, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

El_4_Romeo

Thank you, gentlemen. Judging from what I've seen on different forums, our cars are the same as yours. I'll post some pics soon.

ItalCarGuy

They used to have a SA assembled Super called the Rallye that had a 2L. Would have been nice to gave had those over here. Also a 3L Gtv6 I think. A different palette of exterior colours as well.

Backto105

Quote from: Cool Jesus on October 31, 2014, 06:33:20 PM
Hey ya. Would love to see some pics of sou efrican elfas please?
Kidding aside welcome aboard and more than welcome to joining the brains trust  el 4, ha just realised when I was looking for your name or tag. It's in your tag elfa  :D
Seriously again, would love to see some SA Alfas and their differences to ours if any?

Jesus... that was the worst Sth African accent I have ever seen!! More like a Sth African who swallowed a kiwi!!
Mark Patane
Current
1750 GTV SII TS (105) (French Blue)
2000 GTV (105) (Dutch Blue)
2000 S2 Spider (105) (Med Blue)
1963 Jaguar Mk2 (Golden Sand)
1960 MGA (Old English White)
1985 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign (Clarendon Blue)
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Conv (Sapphire Silver Blue)
2013 Jaguar XJ (Rhodium Silver

superstradale

My brother owned 2 Guilia Super Rallyes in RSA a few years back. The one was sold to a fellow in the USA. Lovely cars...

suzuiq

Quote from: colcol on October 31, 2014, 09:02:22 PM
Back in the olden days they used to assemble Alfa Romeo's there in South Africa, not sure now though?.
A club member used to turn up to sprint meetings year ago and run his Alfa Romeo in standard class, with modifications that he claimed were legal as it was sold like that in South Africa, either he was telling porkies or they have some wild cars in Africa, Colin.

thay did all sots of funny things with cars in seth efrica  like putting 350 chev motors in LJ toranas  and V8's in ford carpris
it doesn't matter how big your check book is, talent is the limiting factor.

colcol

And the V-8 in the Capri was no longer called the Capri, but a Purana, i know because i saw one on one of the Alfa Romeo Sunday runs, now becoming quite valuable.
The last 159's sold in Australia a few years ago were from South Africa, but assembled in Italy, it was a limited batch of about 120??.
There was a change of Distributor or something, and the cars ended up in Australia when the child restraints were modified to suit Australian Design Rules.
This was the excellent Alfa Romeo line of cars Alfa Romeo didn't replace, the 159 owners most likely traded them for an Aldi or Beemer, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]