Headlight globe replacement in 156

Started by poohbah, October 30, 2014, 08:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

OK - I have moved my query from the dipped beam thread.

I just have two basic (possibly dumb) questions:

1. Drivers side main beam globe seems to have blown, but yellow warning light is not showing in dash - any suggestions why?

2. Should I disconnect the battery to replace the main beam globe? I ask this because I blew a bunch of fuses recently when I removed the stereo without disconnecting the negative terminal first, and I am now very wary of repeating my mistake, even though I have successfully replaced globes in the past without disconnecting.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

colcol

If i remember rightly, the warning light only shows parker, tail light, brake light, number plate light, the low and high beam are not part of the warning light system, i blew a high beam early on and the bulb warning light didn't light up, so i took it out of the tacho to check and it was still working.
I don't think it is necessary to disconnect the battery, as there are no live circuits.
My low and high beam lights only blow out first thing in the morning, i switch them on, and they light up for a second and then go out, i think it is something to do with the bulbs being cold and the alternator putting out thousands of volts to charge the battery.
This is a terrible job in a 156, with so little room for your hands, i always now use protective rubber gloves on my hands, as i have never enough bandaids to stop the bloodflow, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Thanks Col, as always a font of wisdom! I will buy some gloves tomorrow...
            1981 GTV

Cool Jesus

As col said, there's no permanent 12v+ Wiring at the headlight unit, unlike stereo head units. You were damn unlucky to with the stereo that there was an exposed wire. I don't always disconnect the battery when I should.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

poohbah

Well, just learned another valuable lesson. Always check the most obvious things first.

Just spent a 2 hours or so fixing my errant drivers headlight.

Bought the correct bulb. removed old one, no problem. Inserted new bulb and tested. No light.

Double checked it was connected properly. Cleaned contacts. Still no light.

Swearing. Pulled left headlamp globe out and put it in drivers side. Put new globe in left side.

Left worked, drivers side still no light. More swearing.

Removed both globes again. Put old globe in LHS. Drop it into headlight well where I can't reach it. Very loud swearing. Eventually fish it out with a magnet and reconnect. LHS works fine.

Stumped, I reconnect everything and close headlamp backing and reattach RHS plastic cable/washer bottle cover. More swearing.

About to call stumps, when I decide as afterthought to check fusebox.

Lo and behold, the fuse for the headlamp was actually missing. Slide in 10amp fuse and Bingo. Everything is working fine.

Damn, could have gone to the beach if I had done the most basic and obvious check first...   
            1981 GTV