preferred diesel for a 159 JTD

Started by blueblood1995, October 18, 2014, 09:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueblood1995

Hi All
What's everyone using for their JTDs?
I've just been reading a few threads (have been away for a while!) and noticed reference to BP Ultimate quite a bit.
I've only been using Shell of late due to claimed low sulphur content as per Europe.
Cheers

Steve S

Does Shell advertise low(er) sulphur? The Australian standard is 10ppm maximum sulphur, that's ultra low sulphur.

blueblood1995

My mistake just checked BP website they also claim 10ppm max., 5ppm typical.
I only read the Shell website where they list diesel as Shell Diesel 10 without understanding requirements for Oz.
What's the standard in Europe?
AND
What's ultimate diesel? Lower sulphur content I assume. Is it also the BP product?
Cheers

Potsie

I've always filled up my 2.4 JTDm at Caltex with their 'vortex premium' diesel (It is probable that this has become my habit as a Caltex happens to also be my nearest servo) .. have utterly no idea if their fuel is lower in sulphur / more like European fuels etc; but haven't had any glitches as yet *touch wood*.

Caltex blurb: http://www.caltex.com.au/FPL%20PDS/Vortex%20Premium%20Diesel.pdf

Potsie
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

Steve S

Quote from: blueblood1995 on October 18, 2014, 11:54:54 PM
My mistake just checked BP website they also claim 10ppm max., 5ppm typical.
I only read the Shell website where they list diesel as Shell Diesel 10 without understanding requirements for Oz.
What's the standard in Europe?
AND
What's ultimate diesel? Lower sulphur content I assume. Is it also the BP product?
Cheers

I don't know what the standard is in Europe but I'd assume it would be 10ppm same as here. BP Ultimate Diesel is automotive diesel (ULSD 10ppm) with performance additives like deposit cleaners and corrosion inhibitors  etc.

RedemP

ive only ever put in ultimate or vortex diesel. dont notice any difference whatsoever (economy or performance). both have injector cleaner and anti foaming additives, no boost in cetane (from what i can gather the additive actually lowers the cetane). 7/11-mobil have just brought out 'special diesel' which is the same thing. seems like only shell lacks a supposedly premium diesel now.

Craig_m67

Whatever's cheapest, makes no difference in my experience.
I also put in a bit two stroke oil every ten or so tanks (or when I remember), it quiet downs (something) in the engine
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

obersturm

Hi all,

I heard about that two stroke oil trick to lubricate the injectors and fuel pump better, as well. Can you really hear a difference in noise level?

Here is what BP says about their Diesel fuel:

http://www.bp.com/en_za/on-the-road/south-africa/products-and-services/bp-ultimate-diesel.html

How BP Ultimate Diesel cleans your engine
Engine power can be lost due to the build-up of deposits left behind by ordinary fuels. But BP Ultimate Diesel's advanced cleaning properties mean it can retain up to an amazing 99% of original engine power.

The injector tip (left) is heavily coated in deposits caused by ordinary fuel. Deposit build-up can restrict fuel flow, adversely affecting spray pattern and precision of control as fuel is injected into the engine, leading to poor combustion. See right, the same injector tip with most of the deposits cleaned away after switching to BP Ultimate Diesel and running for some 700 km.
The result is better spray quality, critical to efficient combustion. The lower images show a clear difference between a good spray pattern (right) and poor spray quality from a dirty injector.
Thanks and best regards

Obersturm