2009 GT V6 undertray crunched

Started by Malcolm, September 01, 2014, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Guess it had to happen sometime, any suggestions for a replacement, believe there are many alternatives from Aluminium to Kevlar or back to the original. Will appreciate any advice, no doubt the GT will be better with an undertray, it is not a car, it is an Alfa Romeo.
Malcolm Ebel
Life Member AROCA SA
Membership Officer
membership@alfaclubsa.org.au
04309 14 309
1st Car, Morris 8/40 Bakers Van.
2004 Alfa 147Ti 5spd manual(Sold).
1976 Alfetta 2L GT race car (Sold)
Current
2009 Alfa GT 3.2 Litre 6spd manual.
2005 Alfa GT 2 Litre Selespeed to Super Sprint

Craig_m67

I've driven over 60,000ks without the one on my car.
No issues and I certainly don't miss it when I change the oil/filter or want to inspect something.

I'm sure somebody will be along in a moment to tell me how dangerous/bad/stupid this is.
My experience would suggest it's not.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Cool Jesus

Plenty of pros and cons. Either way, as Craig suggests, it's not a death knell to the engine bay. There's plenty of stone guarding covers for the belts and Ive gone 2 years without them on my Alfas. Having said that, I would like to reinstall it when finances allow. They do give better protection, the recent service saw the 147 sump plug frozen in place from a scrape. Had to replace it in the end. The guards also give better heat dissipation, causing a low pressure zone in the engine bay, hence air wants to get in there through the radiator and escape out back whilst driving.
Depends on cost. I'd go aluminium, wasn't aware of Kevlar though so can't give an idea on its longevity.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

The recent VF Commodore had one fitted to lesson drag and improve fuel consumption, so it must be there for a reason, as Alfa Romeo would delete it to save money.
Its good for directing air in and out of the engine bay and keeps out mud and rocks from the engine.
Its also good for collecting drips from the oil and coolant system from your driveway....but only up to a point.
You can look in your engine bay and see if there is any stains on the undertray indicating leak.
Alfa Stumper sell alloy ones with apparantly more ground clearance, Colin
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

Aluminium versions will give more clearance, about an inch. But shipping from overseas is a major detraction, but many people have organised group buys to spread the cost (not on this forum though).

They definitely reduce the accumulation of dirt and grime throughout the engine bay, particularly on wet roads.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Craig_m67

Cynical me thinks "they" just scan the  forums until somebody has a need
Nothing wrong with that of course.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-2-0-JTS-Gravel-Tray-/151399775029?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2340213b35&_uhb=1

No idea if it fits, ePer will tell.
I'd be surprised if it couldn't be made too
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

I would buy it if i lived in NSW, mine has been repaired a lot, but it is for the JTS, the V-6 in the GT would be different, i go after buy the correct one and avoid all the stuffing around.
A tip for making them last, is when they come loose, put the fasteners back in, as they start to flex and the material tears and falls down and scrapes on driveways, i repaired mine with galvanised sheet metal, so it wouldn't rust and some pop rivets and washers, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]