Not so smart after all.

Started by bendover, August 28, 2014, 11:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

After cleaning out the water, NOT coolant from no.1 pot. The hesitation is back.
Should i change the coil pack and plugs. I am really at a loss as to what to do. Its nowhere near as bad as it was, its just a slight delay in acceleration, just enough to know its there.

I also need advice on how to stop squeeky suspension, could it be shocks or bushes. The front suspension was changed to allow for rego.

I rreally love these cars and want to get back to original condition. I have sourced the cam belts from the uk for $240.00, i think this is cheal compared to here.

Cool Jesus

What's the service history like?
You can check coil pack resistance with a multimeter. The resistance should be the same for each +/- an 0.01 ohm or so. Check both primary (connector) and secondary (plug). If a coil pack is gone resistance goes up (I think)
Plugs last 100K kms and there's 8, so your looking at about $100. That's why I'm asking about service history. Coil packs aren't cheap either, so you don't want to swap them out unnecessarily.
My 147 had no service history, so I gave it a major service. Plugs, oil, filters, coolant flush the works. Made a massive difference.
For about $80, you can have an Alfa mech hook up their diagnostic to check for error codes. Will give you a better idea of what to look at. See if your young blokes mate can pull up some error codes, although an Alfa reader would be better. When Is the hesitation occurring. There's a myriad of options. Make sure there's no air leaks along the air intake. Is the MAF clean, if you disconnect the maf and engine runs worse then MAF should be ok. Throttle position sensor? May need a simple reset. Oxygen sensors? Variator solenoid dirty?
Wouldn't hurt to give the engine oil a flush to clear out sludge and varnish. Highly recommend liquimoly engine detox $20, but again what's the service history like.

Squeaks are usually bushes in the front. There's a small wishbone at the top of the strut that cops a flogging as does the sway bar bushes. You'd have climb under and give it all a good belt, pull, twist and look for perishing. Bad shocks and coils is more of a clunk and yeah, swapped mine out as it sounded like the front end was going to fall out.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Just noticed you mention front suspension was changed. How and what? May just need some rubber grease on any new bushes installed.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bendover

Thanks, thats most helpful.

Where is the throttle to make an adjustment.

Cool Jesus

No throttle adjust, it's all electronic. Let me see if I can find a reset method without MES.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Here's one link for ecu/throttle rest
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/201163-ecu-reset-its-a-miracle-cure.html
If you google "Alfa 147 throttle reset" you'll find a whole bunch of threads on the matter. But the link I've given you seems to be a regularly tried method. Of course, the best method would be to use the diagnostic MES reset feature. But give this a try and go from there.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bendover

Thanks for that. I have disconnected the negative lead and will leave it overnight.

Next question is, how do i get the radio code.

Cool Jesus

It should be ok. See what happens otherwise, if you don't have the code with the papers I can help with that too.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Sometimes if your front suspension is squeeking, and you go for a drive in the wet and it stops and then when its dry the squeek is back, your bushes may need a squirt of silicone lubricant where they pivot on the pivot bolts.
If the Control Arms are a good brand like Genuine Alfa Romeo or TRW, then thats ok, but some of those cheap control arms purchased off ebay are quite nasty and will give trouble after a few weeks.
The pivot bolts should also be renewed when replacing control arms, as the bolts wear out as well, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]