Fixed an annoying problem

Started by bendover, August 27, 2014, 11:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

Yes my previous name was Bendover, people seemd to object to that so i have changed it. I am no spammer, as some people implied. I genuinly love my 147.

I had a problem with acceleration and could not figure out why.

This moring i had a look at the plugs. There was water half way up pot 1, hence the problem. Cleaned it out, took her for a drive and i was blown away just how quick these little cars.

Seems the dealer washed the engine bay without any thought to the electrics.

Now i know why people love these cars, with all there faults, and this was the first one i found, they are amazing cars.

Now onto the bushes and shocks.

Cool Jesus

Fantastic bendy. I would've kept the name. I was very curious as to how the hell water was on your mind as its virtually impossible for it get there bar dealership jet wash, idiots. These cheap fixes are certainly the best, and yes they do have some get up when looked after well.
It sounds like you enjoy tinkering, you'd do well to get yourself MES (MultiEcuScan) OBD software and appropriate cable set. Best $100 I've ever spent in diagnosing modern Alfas.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bendover

Thanks for that, i will look into it. Any ideas where i can get one from.

My son has a mate who is a mechanic, hes had one of those all purpose machines for checking stuff, is that the sort of thing you mean.

I was getting too much really great advice about my previous name, some people were really helpful..NOT, thats why i changed.

Cool Jesus

http://www.multiecuscan.net

Yes its one of those machines, but specific for Alfa and other italian vehicles. Click the hyperlink I've added. It's a downloaded program you run off your laptop. It has a free version that you can checkout, but it's worth it if you intend to keep your Alfa. It's about $90 for a registered version and cables/interface are about $50 of eBay. I think the elm5 is used on the 147. Research it though, but it's been invaluable for all my Alfas. It would have signalled the non spark on cylinder 1 for you, saving you a lot of head scratching. You can detect/reset errors with explanation of possible causes, actuate mechanisms to check their function, real time graphs etc
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Hello Bendy, washing engine bays with Gurny's and such caused too much damage to sensitive electrical components, a little bit of grease never hurt anyone, some of those pressure pack cans clean good, such as brake clean, as they evaporate quick, but keep them away from paint.
For a scanner, have a look on ebay.
Most people on the forum are very helpfull, and reading all the posts helps you understand these unique cars much better, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

I don't normally use this stuff however I can highly recommend Nulon Carb Degreaser and Cleaner, although keep it away from any paint.  I never put much stock in these things as I always bought the cheapo version and they never really work. Not so the Nulon one, it is quite amazing.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)