Giulia Sprint with 8 plug head from new?

Started by robertb, July 29, 2014, 05:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertb

Have a mate who was telling me of a Giulia Sprint that was sold new by Alec Mildren motors with a 8 plug head.I'd never heard of that type of car sold new in Australia.
Any ideas or thoughts,to me it seemed incorrect.
And also with a GTA sump.

vin sharp

Just about anything in the parts book could be optioned in the day.....if you could afford it.
Certainly Mildrens would have had the experience to fit it all. Most likely would have added 50% to the cost of the car though!
Mildrens fitted a 1750 engine (for more torque as a daily driver) to a new GTA1300 in period.
Just by coincidence, today I've been working on a rebuild of a new engine for the ex-Mildren RHD GTA.
Back in the day, there was also a Giulia Sprint in Adelaide with GTA 8 plug head etc done by Liugi Amore for a customer.
cheers,
Vin.

robertb

Ta Vin,was hopping you would put forward your knowledge.

It seems ,strange that the head was then removed during a rebuild in 90s,when by that time this type of car/mod would have been very sought after.
I suspect,the tale has been told by a previous owner,to perhaps talk up the said car.
I've have to say in all my years of following Alfa's,I'd never come across a car sold new in Australia ,like this fitted with an 8 plug head when new by the selling dealer.

LukeC

I owned a 1966 GTV for a short time in about 1999 that had once had a GTA head on it. From what I understand, the head was ex-Mildren.

The car is pictured on this page: http://webspace.webring.com/people/cl/lanelouieracing/rpgallery.html

When I got it, it had a pair of awful cams and a pair of shankle sprint type air filters on it (they may have suited the GTA head), but not the standard 1600 head. I convert back to standard and sold it to some guy in Melbourne who was involved in the club at the time.

It had a pair of distinctive grey alloy wheels of the same pattern of those on Alfetta Sportiva 1 cars.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

robertb

Quote from: LukeC on July 30, 2014, 10:53:10 AM
I owned a 1966 GTV for a short time in about 1999 that had once had a GTA head on it. From what I understand, the head was ex-Mildren.

The car is pictured on this page: http://webspace.webring.com/people/cl/lanelouieracing/rpgallery.html

When I got it, it had a pair of awful cams and a pair of shankle sprint type air filters on it (they may have suited the GTA head), but not the standard 1600 head. I convert back to standard and sold it to some guy in Melbourne who was involved in the club at the time.

It had a pair of distinctive grey alloy wheels of the same pattern of those on Alfetta Sportiva 1 cars.
Interesting Luke,that looks like the car,do you remember the chassis # and when was the 8 plug head fitted?

LukeC

I don't have much information on the car. When I got it, I was not told any history. But an ex-colleague who had worked for Ray Gulson remembered the car having been in Rays showroom with the twin plug head and an exorbitant price tag. That was a surprise to me.

It was obvious that the car had had a comprehensive restoration, but the quality of the bodywork and paintwork was quite poor by comparison to the mechanicals.

I don't know the chassis number, but have a feeling I have a photo of it when I had it floating around.

I remember the guy I sold it to was a pretty big guy who was buying it to replace another step nose that had been written off.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

LukeC

This is a picture of the car when I had it. At AutoItalia back when it was at Grevillia Park. My guess 1999.

You can even see in this picture the poor standard of bodywork forward of the rear wheel arch.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au