Radio replacement

Started by Campbeli, July 20, 2014, 03:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Campbeli

I have the original phillips radio in my 1999 t.spark, but I need to replace it.
I far as I can work out  I have standard ISO connectors straight from the wiring loom of the car into the back of the unit, no adaptor cable.
So IMHO any head end unit with iso connections should just plug in.

Have just been to my local car radio shop who insist that this can't be, that there must be an adaptor cable in the car somewhere ( even though in their parts catalogue there is no adapter for my model).

Anyone else else replaced the head end?

Thanks,
Neil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Craig_m67

Alfa are notorious for changing the use of ISO cables. Does it have a picture on top the head unit showing pinouts, the later facelift units do (the std pinouts are slightly different on this model I'm told too)

Little bit of googling brings up this

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61246
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Campbeli

Thanks Craig, yes there is a pin out picture and my googling so far tells me that alfa did a bit of switcharoo with power and acc power so the unit does not go off when the engine is turned off .. Gotta turn it off at the unit itself.
But Shouldn't the female plugs/connectors connect straight to a new head end unit with iso connection?

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Craig_m67

Wiring info you need is in the linked thread
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

shiny_car

Yes, ISO plugs are ISO plugs, and they are a direct connection.

Yes, the main 'constant' and 'ignition/ACCessories' wires will be swapped around, but all other wires should be in the correct, standard ISO positions (speaker wires, antenna output wire, etc). So long as you swap the main power wires around, it will work properly.

However, if you buy an 'Australian market' aftermarket headunit, it may not come with ISO plugs. As such, this is why you may need to buy an adapter wiring harness.

For example, the plug on the back of an Alpine headunit is not ISO. They use an Alpine 16-pin smaller plug. If you buy a European market Alpine, it should include an ISO-Alpine harness (ie: short wiring harness that has an Alpine plug on one end, and ISO plugs on the other). In Australia, it probably comes with an Alpine-bare wire harness, and no ISO plugs on the other end. Hence, you would replace this harness with an off-the-shelf Alpine-ISO harness.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Campbeli

Forum delivers again! Many thanks Craig and shiny_car.

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......