unsatisfied bodyshop

Started by mfroes, July 21, 2013, 09:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfroes

Well,
I dont know if its just with me, but i decided to put it here and see if someone comes up with a recommendation.

OK, so 6 months ago, i bought a gtv6, took to revolution, got said the car was in good condition with some minor things to be done(which was not mechanics is still crapp in my opinion but what do i know? i just grew up driving only alfa romeos in my country, not have a workshop for one).

when revolution was actually able to make it start, they returned the car to me right away, saying NO RUST was there.
took home, next weekend was washing my car.
saw a hole in the floor about 60cm X 30cm, realised that the engine mount was all rusted, but painted, etc. (thank god my engine didnt drop on the street while driving)

then i took to MIAMI crash to do the rustproofing of everything and make a check if any other rust was there.
they told me 3 weeks took them 3 months ..
guess what ? less than 1 month later... what do i have, AGAIN ?!?!? RUST !!!!
and on the same place that was supposed to be fixed !!!!!!!
and guess what ? they havent sandpapered proper the previous paint proper because the paint is cracking!!!!!

have anyone, on the gold coast, have found a decent painter/bodywork/restorer ?!?!?!?
i mean, jaguar, porsche and some other top end cars recommends miami crash for their cars and this is their work?
i have receipts and recent photos to show that the work was supposedly done and that the job was crapp.

tell me other alfa owners, WHY IS IT SO HARD ?!?!?

is it because i am living in gold coast or is it that NO PLACE will ever do a decent job ?
dont want perfect, just decent. i mean, i dont want any show car, just properly fixed/done.

colcol

Join your local division of the Alfa Romeo Owners club and go to some meetings and events and talk to other members and see where they get their work done and if they are happy or not, i could recomend a few places in Melbourne, if you are prepared for a long drive, when you get things fixed you have to be absolutely sure of what you want, like a botch up for a quick sale, a good job for a few years ownership, or a long term good job and some sort of time frame, some bodyshops, just do panel beating, others do restorations, i would pick the restorer, not the panel beater just doing crash repairs, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Darryl

It's the same anywhere. A mate in the trade who is an artist with paint finds it hard to find anyone who has come through the trade and can actually weld/fabricate (it seems) so he isn't taking resto jobs any more. No recent GC info I'm sorry - used to be a good bloke down Currumbin way - can't remember the name though. If its anything like it was on GC there are plenty of places that will "just make it pass a roadworthy" ie cover it up with bog and paint - will look presentable for a few months... Make it clear that isn't what you want and if they seem unsure/don't seem to want the job, walk.

hammer

Paul Young at Sunshine Auto Electrical, Tweed Heads, has restored some of the best Alfas in our club. Paul is a Gold Coast local and a very approachable bloke. Give him a call and ask him who does his panel beating. Whoever it is does a bloody good job, from total resto to fixing dents in Youngie's race car.

Cheers,

Brent

sprezzatura

Hey mate..... while not specifically a body shop, but definitely someone you need to know for your wheels moving forward.... is Phil at Maranello Autos.   This guys is a born n bred Alfa and Ferrari mechanic, that does a lot of private restoration and mechanical work.  I used him for my modern Alfas when I lived on the GC, and he always goes the extra mile. And a good dude to boot.

http://maranelloautos.com.au/

In the back of Burleigh on Junction Road.

He is always up for a chat, keen to help, and even helps collectors sell their wares onsite as well.  So always a visual feast of various makes n models to check out.

Cheers
Sprezz